Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our Laptop Upgrade

Recently we decided it was time to upgrade our computer. We already had a laptop and the convenience it brought us confirmed that we would again want another one.

I work from home as a freelance writer so I need access to a computer from my home office on a daily basis. My needs focus on speed of the computer as I am constantly switching between 5 or more websites, word documents, files and more. Our old computer was lagging when trying to navigate between everything so I knew I needed a laptop that would bring me speed and allow me to accomplish my work quickly.

My husband needs access to a computer for work purposes and he also needed something that was going to work quickly and allow him to run large programs and files. He desired a larger screen so it would be easier to see his work.

Another point of interest for us was the overall cost of the computer. Buying a computer is an investment but we didn't want to break the bank with a model that we didn't need all of it's features and functions. We weren't interested in unnecessary bells and whistles- we simply needing something that would work for us.

Our final decision, after looking at a number of different models, was the Dell Inspiron 17. It is an Energy Star model, Intel Core i5 and it carries Windows 7. I am very pleased with the speed of the internet and other programs that we use frequently. The price was very affordable. We purchased straight from the Dell website and received the unit, in tact, undamaged in about 5 days. We also received a free promotion that allowed us a second laptop cover for free. That's a nice bonus to have in case the current one ever becomes damaged, which does happen on a computer that you carry around with you where you need it.

The only negative part of the Inspiron 17 I have experienced so far is the built in mouse. The pad itself is larger than what I have used in the past and if I forget to disable it, when I'm typing my hands can easily drag across the edges and cause it to select text, delete it or move me to another webpage without my doing so. There is a function to turn it off however, but I'm not a fan of the sensitivity of it. I have played with the various control panel settings and haven't found my exact niche yet.

Overall, the Dell Inspiron 17 is a great product for the amount of money that it costs. You can easily watch movies, play games, burn DVD's (an internal burner is included) and much more. The entire unit is very thin and doesn't weigh much. You can buy various covers for it if you wish, but standard it comes in black. For more information you can visit www.dell.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment