Sunday, July 20, 2014

An Interview with Jill Chuckas of Crafty Baby

Soft, durable and functional is the type of products that Crafty Baby provides children with. From their Clutch Balls to their Nap Packs, each product is created with unique and fun fabric and plenty of care. Crafty Baby sells changing pads, Chenille Blankets and fantastic toddler sized pillows that would be hard to find anywhere else. Each product is sewn to perfection and they are known for holding up as well as they do in the wash even after many washings. I was able to speak with the creator of Crafty Baby: Jill Chuckas to get an idea of how she came up with this business venture.
ARH: Jill, How do you determine what products you are going to create and sell for Crafty Baby?
JC: A couple of different ways. Generally, everything I make comes from a necessity I had at one point as a parent. For example, I started making the Nap Pack when my oldest went to preschool. For nap time he had to bring in a blanket, pillow and "lovey". This was far too much for me to remember (after all, I had a little one at home too) and I started putting together something that would fit our needs. It's turned into my best selling product, so I guess I designed it right! For other items, I saw something on the market that didn't quite suit my needs, so I "fixed" it.
ARH: Are there ideas that you come up with that frequently get scrapped and never make it to the 'shelves'?
JC: No, I actually have not had any products that didn't eventually either make it onto my internet site or debut at a craft event. I've changed products slightly after I have brought them to market (I do always try to listen to my customers suggestions) though.
ARH: Are your children your testers? Do they have input on your products?
Yes, my children, and all of my friend's children, are my testers. They also help me pick out fabrics and, on occasion, take out pins! I welcome their input and really try to pay attention to how they interact with my creations.
ARH: How did you come up with the clutch ball?
JC: The clutch ball was something that I adapted to my needs. I saw something in a magazine, maybe 15 years ago, that I thought was cute and would enjoy someday with my kids. The product stuck in my head, and when by the time my first was born, I had made up a prototype. The size has changed over the years (sometimes a little bigger, sometimes a little smaller), but the overall design has stayed the same.
ARH: Where do you see your business going in the next 5-10 years? What are your hopes for the future of Crafty Baby?
JC: My dream would be to open up a physical location, separate from my home studio, that would have a small store front where I could feature my line, and other made in the USA products I enjoy, and a larger back area that would operate as stitchery. Maybe 3 or 4 moms that worked 15 hours or so a week, sewing up my designs.
ARH: Anything new and exciting in the works for Crafty Baby?
JC: Yes, I have designed an art smock that I am really excited about. It is made of a cotton laminate that is able to go through the washer and dryer - unheard of for laminates! It is long sleeved and offers full coverage for all those little Picassos!
Crafty Baby products are available on the website www.craftybaby.com. Wholesale orders are available and discounts are offered to daycares and preschools who order nap mats in quantities over 20. Jill Chuckas at Crafty Baby provides affordable and unique ways to pamper your child and with so many cute prints and varieties to choose from you won't have trouble picking a product out for one of your own or for a gift. I can guarantee other moms will be asking you where you got such a great product!

No comments:

Post a Comment