Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Best Ways To Minimize Allergy Symptoms This Season

I have horrible allergies and they drive me nuts each and every spring. Like clockwork, at the end of May I always begin to wake up with an incredibly itchy nose, runny nose, itchy eyes and and scratchy throat. When things really amp up I can even become short of breath. I have figured out a few tricks that I keep handy when I know allergy season is approaching and while I still suffer through it, it has become a bit more tolerable. I don't like to take medicine because I seem to suffer a side effect from pretty much everything I take so I like to look for other ways to keep me feeling good.

In my house the number one rule is that you must take your shoes off when you come inside. Not only is this meant to make the life of my carpet longer but it's also to minimize the amount of pollen and irritants that we bring in with us. Anything that gets stuck to our shoes will be kept inside the entryway rather than be trekked onto our carpet where we like to lay and play.

Even though the weather may be nice outside I tend to keep the windows and doors closed when pollen levels are at their highest. I also run the furnace fan or air purifier if need be. Pollen levels tend to be at their highest in the early morning and during the afternoon. By evening pollen levels sometimes drop a bit and you may be able to open up for some fresh air for a bit.

I found a really great product that I was skeptical about at first but I now swear by them and will forever be a user. First Defense Nasal Screens are small stickers that you place over your nostrils. They have a filter in the center of them so as you breathe through your nose you will actually be filtering pollen and other irritants from the air you are breathing into your sinuses and lungs. These screens work for seasonal allergy issues but they can also be used if you're going to a friend's house who happens to have a pet that you're allergic to. You can use them if you're going to be doing some yard work to minimize the amount of irritants you breathe. They're also great to keep on hand if you're going to be traveling by plane somewhere. You can keep those germs at bay by sticking on a pair of First Defense Nasal Screens (www.filteryourlife.com).

Lastly, everyone in our home showers or bathes before bed. We don't put it off until the morning because then we're contaminating our bed with pollen and we'll be breathing in the pollen that we have on our bodies, clothes and hair all night long. A nice shower not only helps clean and open up the nasal passages but it rids you of that day's pollen collection.

There's no cure for allergies, unfortunately. However, you can make the most of the allergy season and minimize your risk of symptoms. A few simple changes in your routine can make a big difference and cut down on the amount of over the counter or prescription medication that you take each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment