Thursday, August 25, 2011

Growums: Adding Character to Your Garden

I have a three year old son and I love this age. We can do so many more activities and try new things together. My son loves to see how things go together, come apart, grow and figure things out on his own; taking on a new sense of independence.

We were able to try Growums which is a gardening kit for the smallest beginners. The pizza growing kits provided us with seeds to grow our own tomatoes, peppers and herbs. Being big homemade pizza lovers (Smiley face pita pizzas are a hit around here!) I was excited to get these seeds going and see how they would turn out. My thumb is only partially green so I was also eager to see if this kit would work for us.
The process is very simple. You get dirt pellets that expand with water. You can then plant the seeds along with your helper and put them in sunlight to get them going. They germinate in a normal amount of time and we found that watering them every other day or so worked great for us. We started them indoors in our morning room and had no problems.
Moving them outdoors is always the tricky part for me. It's one thing to water them when they are indoors but when I have to venture outside with my son, fill up his watering can, drag out the hose (you get the idea) it becomes a task. Luckily these plants were pretty resillient and did rather well with occassional waterings from us and a little help from the rain.
The Growums kits are definately an affordable way to show your preschooler what it means to grow something and make your own food from it. Aside from the pizza garden you can also buy the salad, herb or taco versions. Visit www.growums.com for more information or to find a retailer nearest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment