Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Smith and Truslow- Organic Herbs and Spices Review

I love to cook. I was raised by a mother who was an awesome cook and she learned from some great cooks as well. Unfortunately cooking didn't come super easy to me and it took me some time to stray away from my easy go-to recipes and experiment with different flavors and spices. Aside from my basic spice rack which included garlic powder, italian seasoning, seasoned salt and a few other basics, I didn't try many different things and sure didn't try to combine anything that I wasn't used to. Luckily, I received a large set of Smith and Truslow organic herbs and spices and was immediately hooked on a number of new flavors.

Most people now know the importance of eating organic but many people don't realize that you should get down to the very basics. Even spices should be purchased organically to prevent consumption of chemicals from fertilizers and pesticides. Not only is it better to consume spices in an organic form but they also taste so much better than non-organic ones that are mass produced.

Smith and Truslow's product line is extensive and includes single herbs and spices but also mixtures which I appreciated because I'm not always sure what goes with what. They have fantastic poultry and beef rubs that left my husband asking 'Who made this dinner?' (me silly, thank you very much). Even the most simple combinations like garlic and sea salt tasted so much better coming from this high end spice company.

The prices are reasonable. You will pay roughly $6.50 per 0.7 ounce jar for most basic spices and herbs that you would need to get started with a well-stocked spice rack. Start by replacing your most used products and then try something new and see if you can work it into your meals. I found that the spice rubs were a great way to try something new. Instead of cooking chicken breasts like I normally would I could just rub on some olive oil and spices and it was a whole new meal. It helped me learn about new tastes and made my family happy eaters.

You can visit www.smithandtruslow.com for more information or to see their entire product line.

No comments:

Post a Comment