Sunday, July 20, 2014

Holiday Cooking and Food Guide

I'll be honest and say that I think eating is probably my favorite part of any holiday. I'm a big food lover so when the holidays roll around and it's time to whip up some tasty creations I'm all over it. I do like to keep things healthy and I follow a gluten free diet for the most part so that sometimes makes it a little challenging to keep things tasty but also healthy. I did some searching and found some great foods and products to have on hand this holiday season to help keep your loved ones bellies full and happy.

Bake It Pretty is a great site where you can buy all your baking necessities for not only Christmas but also for the whole year. They have tons of different cupcake liners, sprinkles, edible decorations, frosting tips and bags and much more. I was very impressed with their selection and plan on keeping their site in mind for the future when I need to bake for a holiday or birthday.

Glutino makes some great gluten free snacks that you can keep in your pantry for when guests come over. No matter how much food I prepare my five year old is always asking for a snack so Glutino's toaster pastries and pretzel crisps are great to have on hand. For the holidays their yogurt and peppermint covered pretzels are an awesome purchase. We devoured these in my house within a couple of days and all by our selves.

Mary's Gone Crackers are healthy options that you can put out along with slices of cheese, prosciutto, salami, olives or pepperoni. They give a healthier and more unique option rather than just a plain buttery cracker you'll find at the grocery store. Plus they are gluten free and super good for you!

Namaste Foods makes baking and cooking easy for the holidays. Gluten free muffin mixes are great for Christmas morning as well cake mixes for dessert for guests. They also make a spice cake mix which makes two round cakes that you can either use plain for a breakfast cake or you can add some frosting in the middle and on the outside to create a fancy dessert. You can also add carrot to this mix to make your own carrot cake.

My personal favorite when it comes to gluten free brands is Jovial. When I started eating gluten free I tried a number of different brands of pasta and while I found some that were good, Jovial is definately the best. Their rice based pasta tastes just like wheat-based and when I make it my family doesn't even notice it's gluten free. Their pasta comes in spaghetti as well as other shapes so there's something for every recipe.

Holiday eating doesn't have to be unhealthy and make you gain 10 extra pounds each year. You can eat healthy while also enjoying yourself and sticking to your diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment